This salad has provided me with a fresh new take on the typical weeknight greens I throw together haphazardly. It's light, refreshing and healthy -- and pretty! Definitely don't forget to add in the peanuts or almonds. They really do the trick. And just as a heads up -- I thought this was quite a large portion for just two people so I think you could definitely enjoy it as a meal for three, or just plan on having plenty for leftovers.
Chinese Chicken Salad with Spicy Ginger Dressing
Feel free to substitute the chicken with grilled tofu, shrimp or any protein of your liking.
- 1 boneless chicken breast, skin removed
- 1 medium-sized Napa (or Savoy) cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
- handful of fresh mint, chopped
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- handful of roasted peanuts
Spicy Ginger Dressing
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. To poach chicken, place the breast in a small saucepan and add water, about 1 inch above the chicken. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiled, immediately lower heat to a very slow simmer and partly cover for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the chicken to cook in hot water for another 15 minutes. Once cooled, shred chicken and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the spicy ginger dressing.
3. Add the cabbage, chicken, carrots, tomato, mint and cilantro to the large bowl and toss gently. Top with mango slices and roasted peanuts. Garnish with scallions and roasted sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
(via Design Sponge)
Sounds delicious! SI'm always looking for new salads that aren't so boring they make me want to cry and eat a bowl of carbonara. I'll have to try this one.ReplyDelete
I completely agree! There are so many boring, overpriced salad options out there. This one is a good option if you're vegetarian or not, which I love.ReplyDelete